Everyday Green Salad
Rate this recipe
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/3 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar or to taste
For the salad:
- 1 head butter lettuce or red leaf lettuce
- 4 carrots or 3/4 lb, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 large cucumber or 3/4 lb, peeled, seeded, sliced
- 2 ripe tomatoes or 3/4 lb, quartered, seeded, sliced
- 1 large ripe Mexican avocado halved, pitted, sliced
- In a plastic container that has a lid, add the vinegar, vegetable and olive oils, Dijon mustard, garlic, onion, salt, black pepper and sugar. Cover the container with a lid and shake for 10 seconds until the vinaigrette is well emulsified. Alternatively, you can also whisk with a fork in a bowl.
- Place the lettuce, carrots, cucumber and tomato in a large salad bowl. Pour a generous amount of the vinaigrette on top and toss. The salad should be coated with the vinaigrette but not swimming in it.
- Top with avocado slices, drizzle a bit more vinaigrette on top of and serve.
12comments inEveryday Green Salad
Can you use a different vinegar than white?
For sure! Maybe apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar, yum!
Absolutely love the show and your recipes. Cannot wait to try this one 😍
Thanks so very much Steve!
I used avocado and olive oil. Very nice salad 🥗 dressing! Muchas gracias!
Hi Pati. Hello from Alaska. Love, love, love your recipes, and your show! Curious why both olive and veg oil🙂
Thank you for tuning in, Tanya! I use both, as I don’t like the olive oil to overpower the vinaigrette’s flavor.
Excellent vinegrette dressing, love, love love it and so easy. My husband can’t enough of it. Thanks, Pati. Also made the beans and salad with shrimp. Divine. I’m onto more of your recipes, for sure.
Yay! I hope you love them all, Tina.
How long will the vinaigrette keep?
It will keep for a few days in the fridge in a sealed container.