Fiesta Refried Beans
Rate this recipe
- 3 to 4 dried chiles colorados a.k.a. New Mexico chiles, California chiles, dried anaheim chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 1 recipe Frijoles de Olla made with pintos
- 3 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 3 tablespoons lard or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Chihuahua, asadero or Monterey Jack cheese or melty cheese of your choice
- 1/2 pound Mexican chorizo or longaniza peeled, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Place the dried chiles colorados in a small saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until softened and plumped, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- In batches, puree the cooked beans and 2 cups of their cooking liquid, the rehydrated chiles and the chipotle chiles in adobo.
- Heat the lard or oil in a large casserole or sauté pan set over medium heat. Once hot, add the bean puree, cook for about 15 minutes, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan as it thickens. Stir in the cheese and continue to cook, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan, until the beans have thickened into a soft puree and the cheese is completely incorporated and melted.
- If adding chorizo, in a small pan set over medium-high heat, cook the chorizo or longaniza until brown and crisp, about 5 to 6 minutes. Top the beans with the chorizo or mix it in.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve hot.