Fried Shrimp Tacos with Apple Jicama Cucumber Slaw and Guacamole Salsa
Rate this recipe
For the shrimp:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chile
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more to season shrimp
- 1 1/4 cups seltzer
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled and deveined (tails off)
- Oléico safflower oil
- Combine the flour, cumin, chipotle, and salt together in a medium bowl. Whisk in the seltzer water to make a batter.
- Season the shrimp with salt.
- In a heavy, wide skillet or casserole, pour oil to a depth of 4 inches and heat over medium for at least 5 minutes. Test the heat by dipping a wooden spoon or the tip of a piece of shrimp into the oil — it should bubble happily around whatever you introduce into it. Set a cooling rack on a baking sheet and cover the rack with paper towels. If you don’t have a cooling rack, just cover the baking sheet with paper towels.
- Dip the shrimp into the batter and carefully drop into the hot oil. Fry until golden and crisp, turning once, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to the cooling rack and season with salt.
- Serve the shrimp on a warm tortilla topped with the slaw and guacamole salsa.