Ham and Cheese Torta Sandwiches
Rate this recipe
- 2 Mexican bolillo or telera rolls or small baguettes
- 1/2 cup refried beans
- 1/2 ripe Mexican avocado scooped and sliced
- 4 slices Mexican queso fresco Oaxaca or Mozzarella
- 4 to 6 slices ham, turkey or cooked chicken
- 1 tomato sliced and seeded
- A couple of thin slices of onion optional
- Pickled jalapeño peppers to taste optional
- Salt to taste optional
- 2 tablespoons Mexican style cream optional
- Slice the rolls in half lengthwise. If they’re not fresh, toast them slightly for a few minutes. On one side, spread a tablespoon of refried beans; on the other, mash 1/4 of an avocado with a fork.
- Top the bottom half of the bread with a few slices of cheese, 2 or 3 slices of ham or cold cuts of your choice, it may also be shredded chicken or meat, and a couple of slices of tomato.
- Drizzle a tablespoon of Mexican-style cream and crown your package with as many pickled jalapeños as you wish. Sprinkle a bit of salt on top.
- Place the top half of the roll on the sandwich and slice the torta horizontally. Eat it or wrap it up so that it can travel along with you.