Ham and Cheese Torta Sandwiches
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Ham and Cheese Torta Sandwiches recipe from Pati's Mexican Table Season 2, Episode 2 “School Lunch with a Mexican Twist”
- 2 Mexican bolillo or telera rolls, or small baguettes
- 1/2 cup refried beans
- 1/2 ripe Mexican avocado, scooped and sliced
- 4 slices Mexican queso fresco, Oaxaca or Mozzarella
- 4 to 6 slices ham, turkey or cooked chicken
- 1 tomato, sliced and seeded
- A couple of thin slices of onion, optional
- Pickled jalapeño peppers to taste, optional
- Salt to taste, optional
- 2 tablespoons Mexican style cream, optional
Slice the rolls in half lengthwise. If they’re not fresh, toast them slightly for a few minutes. On one side, spread a tablespoon of refried beans; on the other, mash 1/4 of an avocado with a fork.
Top the bottom half of the bread with a few slices of cheese, 2 or 3 slices of ham or cold cuts of your choice, it may also be shredded chicken or meat, and a couple of slices of tomato.
Drizzle a tablespoon of Mexican-style cream and crown your package with as many pickled jalapeños as you wish. Sprinkle a bit of salt on top.
Place the top half of the roll on the sandwich and slice the torta horizontally. Eat it or wrap it up so that it can travel along with you.