Hard Waffer Rolls recipe from Pati's Mexican Table Season 5, Episode 9 “Isla Mujeres Inspired”
For the batter:
- 4 eggs, plus 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 2 cups Edam cheese, shredded, optional
- 1 cup chocolate hazelnut spread, optional
- Jam of your choice, optional
- Add all of the batter ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth. Set aside and let rest for 10 minutes, or cover and refrigerate up to 12 hours. Stir before using.
- Heat a 10” crepe pan or flat bottomed non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, pour about 1/4 cup of batter and spread out in a circular shape to cover the entire pan. You want to create a very thin layer. Once the bottom begins to become toasted and golden, loosen the edges with a spatula and flip to toast the other side. Continue to flip another 2 times until the batter starts to crisp.
- Add desired filling - chocolate hazelnut spread and Edam cheese are traditional to the Yucatán Peninsula. Roll up into a big and wide roll. As soon as, you remove it from the heat it will begin to crisp up like a wafer cone. Enjoy!