Mexican Chicken Broth
Rate this recipe
- 1 3-pound chicken cut into serving pieces, or 2–3 pounds mixed chicken parts
- 3 carrots peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 white onion halved
- 3 celery stalks cut into large chunks
- 1 clove garlic
- 5 to 6 black peppercorns
- 5 to 6 fresh Italian parsley sprigs
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon kosher or coarse sea salt or to taste
- 3 1/2 quarts water
- Place all the ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, skim off any foam, and simmer, partially covered, for 50 minutes. Turn off the heat and let cool.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken pieces to a bowl. Strain the broth into a container, cool, and refrigerate. Remove the skin and bones from the chicken. Shred or cut the meat into chunks for future use and refrigerate if not using right away.