Mushroom and Rice Casserole
Rate this recipe
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter plus more for the baking dish
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium white onions chopped (2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic minced or put through a garlic press
- 1 jalapeño or serrano pepper finely chopped (seeding optional if you want less heat; may add more to taste)
- 2 pounds mixed mushrooms (such as white button, baby bella, portobello and shitake), cleaned, dry part of stem removed, sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves and thin part of stems
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves and thin part of stems
- 1 cup Mexican cream or Latin-style cream, or heavy cream
- 8 ounces (about 2 cups) farmers cheese or queso fresco crumbled
- 6 cups cooked Mahatma® Rice white rice
- 1 cup freshly grated queso anejo Parmigiano-Reggiano, or Romano
- Heat the butter and oil in a large, deep 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and stir to coat; cook for about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are translucent and the edges begin to brown. Add the garlic and jalapeño or serrano pepper; cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened. Add all of the sliced mushrooms; sprinkle with salt and pepper, and gently combine with the onions. Cover and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until the mushrooms have exuded their juices and the flavors have melded. Uncover and cook for 7 to 8 minutes or until the juices have evaporated.
- Add the cilantro and parsley, stirring to combine. Add the cream and the crumbled queso fresco or farmer cheese; stir until the mixture is thoroughly combined and the cheese has melted. Continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes, adjusting the heat to keep the mixture barely bubbling at the edges. It should still be very saucy. Turn off the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Use a little butter to grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or the equivalent.
- Spoon the cooked rice into the baking dish and level it out without pressing down hard. Pour the mushroom-cilantro mixture on top and gently spread to level it. Sprinkle with the grated cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and gently browned.
- Serve hot.
0comments inMushroom and Rice Casserole