Quick Roasted Tomatillo Salsita
Quick Roasted Tomatillo Salsita recipe from Pati's Mexican Table Season 6, Episode 10 "How I Got to Now"
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 garlic clove, unpeeled
- 1 thick slice of a large white onion, (about 2 ounces)
- 1 whole jalapeño or serrano chile, or more to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves and upper stems, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt, or more to taste
Pre-heat the broiler.
On a small baking dish or baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, place the tomatillos, garlic, onion slice and chile. Place under the broiler for 8 to 10 minutes, flipping the ingredients once in between, until completely charred and mushy. Watch out for the garlic as you may need to remove it a few minutes before the rest of the ingredients. When cool enough to handle, peel the husk off the garlic cloves and remove stem from the chile.
In the jar of a blender, place the tomatillos and their juices, chile, onion and garlic. Also add cilantro and salt. Puree to your desired texture, you may leave it chunky or puree until smooth.