Raw Tomatillo and Chipotle Salsa Verde
Rate this recipe
- 1 pound tomatillos husked, rinsed and quartered
- 1 medium garlic clove coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped white onion
- Leaves and thin stems from 4 or 5 stems of cilantro coarsely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons sauce from canned chipotle chiles in adobo plus 1 canned chipotle chile (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt or more to taste
- 1 ripe avocado cut into large dice (optional)
- 8 ounces queso fresco cotija, or farmers cheese, cut into large dice (optional)
- Combine the quartered tomatillos, garlic, onion, cilantro, sauce from the canned chipotle chiles, the canned chipotle chile, if desired, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Puree until smooth, then transfer to a 2-cup container with a tight-fitting lid.
- At this point, the salsa can be covered and refrigerated for a day.
- When ready to serve, transfer to a serving bowl; add the avocado and cheese, if desired. Toss gently to combine. Taste and adjust salt as needed.