- 1/4 cup tarragon vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup Mexican crema
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tablespoon kosher or sea salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 5 cups (or about 1 pound) thinly sliced red cabbage
- 3 cups peeled and shredded raw beets, from about 2 beets
- 5 cups (or about 8 ounces) spinach, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 5 cups jícama, peeled and cut into small sticks (from about 1 jícama)
- 1/4 of a white onion, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces candied pineapple, or other candied fruit
- 1 cup croutons
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted sesame seeds
For the vinaigrette:
- Add the vinegar, garlic, chopped onion, salt, and sugar to a small bowl, then whisk in the oils to emulsify.
For the avocado dressing:
- Place milk and garlic in a blender and puree. Add the lime juice, crema, avocados and salt to taste and blend until smooth. Pour avocado dressing in a bowl and stir in the chives.
- Combine the cabbage, beets, spinach, jícama, onion and dried pineapple or dried fruit in a salad bowl.
- Lightly dress the salad with some of the vinaigrette. Place the salad on the table and leave the avocado dressing, croutons and toasted sesame seeds on the side for people to add as they please.