Rate this recipe
- 1 ripe Mexican avocado halved, pitted, meat scooped out, diced and mashed in a bowl
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from chipotles in adobo sauce optional, or more to taste
- 4 sandwich bread slices whole wheat or white
- 4 thin slices ham or turkey
- 4 slices Muenster or Monterey Jack cheese
- In a bowl, mash the avocado and mix with the mayonnaise, mustard and adobo sauce until completely smooth and combined.
- To assemble the sandwich rolls: With a rolling pin, roll out each sandwich bread slice until completely flattened. Leaving at least 1 inch around the edges of the bread, spread on a generous tablespoon of the avocado mixture and top with a slice of ham and cheese. Roll up the sandwich and pat to flatten a bit with your hand once you are done. With a sharp knife, cut off the ends of the sandwich roll (less than 1/4-inch) and cut the sandwich roll in half, diagonally.
- If sending them to school, pack as is and lay flat on their side.
- If you are eating them at home, you can place them in the toaster oven for 2 to 3 minutes and stand them up on the cut flat side.