- 1 to 2 pounds fish heads, bones, and tails, preferably from fresh white-fleshed fish
- Shrimp shells and tails, optional
- 1 white onion, peeled and halved
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 to 3 carrots, peeled and halved
- 3 celery stalks, rinsed and halved
- 1 ripe tomato
- 5 to 6 sprigs fresh parsley or cliantro
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon kosher or coarse sea salt, or to taste
- Place all of the ingredients in a large, heavy soup pot. Fill with enough cold water to cover by at least 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and skim away any foam. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover partially, and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Remove from heat and strain through a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth-lined colander.