Rate this recipe
- 1 to 2 pounds fish heads, bones, and tails preferably from fresh white-fleshed fish
- Shrimp shells and tails optional
- 1 white onion peeled and halved
- 3 garlic cloves peeled
- 2 to 3 carrots peeled and halved
- 3 celery stalks rinsed and halved
- 1 ripe tomato
- 5 to 6 sprigs fresh parsley or cliantro
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon kosher or coarse sea salt or to taste
- Place all of the ingredients in a large, heavy soup pot. Fill with enough cold water to cover by at least 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and skim away any foam. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover partially, and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Remove from heat and strain through a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth-lined colander.
8comments inSeafood Broth
I just discovered your show and I absolutely love it and ALL your recipes. I binged watched all day! Lol.
My family is from Torreón and we visit all parts of Mexico. I love Mexican food and my family loves cooking. I can’t wait to try many of your recipes.
I saw an episode where you went to Mazatlán and sat with a friend that owned her own restaurant. You had shrimp soup with more of a clear broth. I don’t see a similar recipe on your website.
Can you send me that recipe?
Thank you for tuning in, Gerrie! I don’t have a recipe for that soup, since it was a field piece…but I hope you enjoy lots of my recipes.
Gia Ann Rios
How do I go about adding vegetables, rice and fish to the broth for a fish soup?
I watched the episode and saw your dish was more rice heavy & im trying to make a consume type soup.
Any help is appreciated, thank you.
Oh once you make the broth…here’s my recipe for the soup which you can use to add veggies, rice, and fish: https://patijinich.com/pati_2020/recipe/seafood-rice-stew/
Alfredo De Stephano
Two weeks ago, I discovered your website by searching for a seafood broth. I made the broth and have used it to prepare a seafood soup. This recipe has worked great for me and the broth was rich and tasty. Thank you for this recipe.
If the broth was great, I am very sure the rest of the recipes are excellent as well. I will incorporate a few in my cooking. Again, Thank You!
That’s so fantastic Alfredo! I’m super happy you discovered the site and enjoy the recipes.
I found your show on PBS for the first time today. Your son said something about the delicious chicken. I had chicken defrosted and wanted to try your recipe. Unable to find it on the website. I guess I will just view other programs who do have their recipes available.
Thanks for tuning in! You can find all of the recipes from each season here: http://patijinich.com/pati_2020/season-five-recipes/