Sonoran Style Shrimp and Scallop Tostada
Rate this recipe
For the mayonnaise:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Zest of 1 lime
- Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the tostadas:
- 1 batch Salsa Bandera with Jicama and Pineapple
- 1 batch Salsa Preparada Negra Milusos
- 1 batch Apple Chiltepin Salsita or a hot sauce of your choice
- 6 to 8 corn tostadas homemade or store bought
- 1 pound shrimp shelled and butterflied
- 1 pound scallops
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 1 ripe avocado halved, pitted and sliced
To make the mayonnaise:
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise with the lime zest. Season with salt and black pepper. Mix well and set aside.
To make the tostadas:
- Have the three salsas prepared and ready to use, and the tostadas within reach.
- Season the shrimp and scallops with the salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil in a very large skillet over high heat. Once the butter has begun to foam, add the shrimp. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes per side, just until nicely seared and browned on the outside but not overcooked inside. Scrape into a bowl. Return the skillet to the heat, add the remaining butter and oil, and once the butter foams, add the scallops. Cook for a minute per side, until the tops and bottoms are browned and the middles are no longer translucent, and remove from the heat. The scallops should be medium rare. As soon as you can handle them, slice thin and set aside.
- Spread about a tablespoon of the mayonnaise on each tostada, top with a layer of sliced scallops, a couple of tablespoons of the salsa bandera, and then a layer of the shrimp. Crown with avocado slices. Top the avocado slices with a couple of tablespoons of salsa negra and add apple chiltepin salsita or another hot sauce to taste. Serve immediately, passing more salsa negra around the table for people to add as desired.
36comments inSonoran Style Shrimp and Scallop Tostada
It’s been a while since I made this recipe, but am sorry I waited so long. I made the sauces yesterday, so dinner this evening was quick, easy, and SO delicious. I left out the scallops this time, but it’s still my wife’s favorite :). Gracias, Pati!
So happy to hear Craig, hugs to you and your wife!
Irma from Miami
I was looking for a shrimp cocktail recipe, but saw this recipe. Sounds and looks delicious, I will give it a try!
Thank you for sharing the homemade taste of Mexico!
So glad you found this recipe Irma, you are going to love this “cachoreada”. And I also have a recipe for shrimp coctail here 🙂 https://patijinich.com/shrimp-cocktail-pacifico/
Ms Clause, North Pole
Wow, I just watched this episode where you made these, Pati, and they look like the most fresh, indulgent tostadas ever! I can’t wait to make some and made sure to remember every exact detail. Yum!
Hope you love them!
Pati, Hi! Maria de Lago Salado. Me encantan sus recetas. Hoy la vimos con mi esposo preparando las seafood tostadas y me gustaría tener la receta para la salsa negra milusos?
Somos muy afortunados de verla en la tv y poder encontrar sus deliciosas recetas por este medio.
Mil gracias por tus lindas palabras Maria, aqui esta la receta que estas buscando, un abrazo grande! https://patijinich.com/es/salsa-preparada-negra-milusos/
Pati, I made these tostada’s from the recipe in your book and took them to the family game night and they were a big hit :). The jicama & pineapple pico de Gallo and seasoning sauce were delicious. I’m glad made a double batch, so left-overs for my wife and I for lunch this week :). I’ll definitely be making this again!
Yay, thanks so much Craig, so happy everyone approved and enjoyed, gracias!
I want to do this looks so deliciuss !
Go for it, you will not regret it 😉
Great recipe, looks so 😋 delicious .Thank you Chef Pati.
With Easter on the way, great Lent recipe
Thanks to you! I also have here in the website a Collection of recipes for Lent that you might want to check out 😉 https://patijinich.com/collection/seafood/
I can’t wait to fix this tomorrow. Thank you so much for sharing your recipes
My pleasure Tania, enjoy!
Yummmmm! Cant wait to eat this!
Hope you’ll like it Pamela!
Janet E Francis
Just love everything you do. Gracias from my family
Gracias to you guys, hugs to all!
Cant wait to try this at home!!!
Awesome Renee, let me know how you like it 😉
I did this recipe for my family and now I’m the chef of this house Lol, thanks miss Pati Jinnich for sharing all this delicious recipes
Haha Carlos! So glad everybody loved the “Cachoreada”. Plenty more recipes from Sonora and other places in Mexico for you to keep your new job 🙂
Got the recipes and can’t wait to make this. We enjoy your show so much.
Thanks so much Margo for tuning in, keep cooking!
Patty me encantan tus recetas que son muy autenticas y gracias por llevarnos a todos los rincones de nuestro lindo Mexico.
Que linda Gloria, muchisimas gracias 😉
I love your style of cooking and your show!
Thanks so much Laura, un abrazo!
Cher + Lee
You inspire us to try new recipes. You make it simple, but mm-mmm they taste so good!!! Love traveling to Mexico with you.
Thanks so much guys! So glad you are tuning in and having fun, yay!
Love you shows and tours of Mexico.
Muchas gracias Ken!