Piquín Salsa Verde
Rate this recipe
- 1½ pounds tomatillos husks removed, rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves unpeeled
- ¼ white onion
- 1 to 2 serrano chiles stemmed
- 1 to 2 teaspoons dried piquín chiles
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves and upper part of stems
- 1 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt
- Place the tomatillos, garlic, onion, and serranos on a small baking sheet. Place under the broiler and char or roast for about 10 minutes, flipping as needed in between, until charred on the outsides and completely softened. Remove from the oven.
- Alternatively, you can char or roast on a preheated comal set over medium-low heat or directly on the grill.
- Once cool enough to handle, peel the garlic cloves. Place tomatillos, peeled garlic, onion, and serranos along with piquín chiles, cilantro, and salt into a blender and puree to your desired consistency (I like it to still be able to see the tomatillo seeds).