Spinning Top Cocktail recipe from Pati's Mexican Table Season 3, Episode 12 "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"
For rimming the glass:
- 1 lime wedge, (about 1/4 of a fresh lime)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground chile powder, such as chile piquín, ancho, chipotle or a Mexican mix, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons kosher or coarse sea salt
For the drink:
- 11/2 cups Ice cubes
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) mezcal or tequila
- 3/4 cup grapefruit soda
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 to 2 fresh mint leaves
Run the lime wedge around the rim of a glass. Place the sugar, chile powder and salt on a small plate and dip the rim of the glass in the salt to coat.
Add the ice cubes to the glass, then pour in the mezcal, grapefruit soda and pineapple juice, stir gently. Tear the mint leaves into several pieces and drop them into the glass, stirring gently so they release their flavor into the drink.