- 1 lb butter at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 eggs at room temperature
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- For the glaze:
- 1 cup soft apricot preserve
- 5 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a set of muffin or mini muffin molds.
- Cream the butter in a mixer at high speed. Incorporate the sugar and keep on beating until it is well incorporated. Add the eggs, one by one, making sure each one is well incorporated into the mix.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the all purpose flour with the baking powder and a pinch of salt. Bring the speed of the mixer to low, and slowly add the flour mix, alternating with the heavy cream until well combined.
- Spoon the batter into the molds up under the rim, as they will puff. Place molds in the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes for normal muffin molds and about 10 minutes for mini muffin molds. A toothpick should come out clean when they are ready. Remove from the oven. Once cool enough to handle, remove them from the molds and place them on a plate or cooling rack.
- In a saucepan set over medium heat, combine apricot preserve, sugar and lime juice. Stir occasionally for a couple minutes until the ingredients are well dissolved. Place chochitos or sprinkles in a large plate or bowl. Holding one pound cake at a time, dunk the top, up to half their height, into the apricot glaze, then gently roll the glazed part with the chochitos or sprinkles. Place them on a platter, let cool and cover. They taste even better the day after!