Spiced Up Pumpkin Seeds
Rate this recipe
- 1 1/2 cup hulled raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon corn, safflower or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground chile piquín or ground Mexican chile, more or less to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt more or less to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar more or less to taste
- Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Once it is hot but not smoking add the pumpkin seeds. Saute, stirring often, for about 4 to 5 minutes, they will have begun making popping sounds and some of them will begin gaining a nice tanned brown color.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl with a slotted spoon, leaving the remains of the oil behind in the pan. Sprinkle with the ground chile, salt and sugar and toss to coat. As they cool down, they will dry up and become crunchier. Eat or store covered with a lid. They will keep for about a week, if you don't finish them before then.