Chef Rod’s Chorizo Burger
Rate this recipe
For the burger:
- 1 1/4 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 pounds Mexican chorizo
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/4 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/4 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cloves of garlic whole and peeled
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 slices bacon cooked
- 5 slices pepper jack cheese
- Tomato slices to garnish
- Red onion slices to garnish
- Green leaf lettuce to garnish
- Hamburger buns
For the Chipotle Mayo:
- 1 chipotle pepper from chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 cup of heavy mayonnaise
To make the burger:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef and the chorizo.
- In a blender, add the onions, black pepper, salt, cumin, and garlic and mix at medium speed adding water. Pour the blender mixture into the beef mixture, mix well, and form into burger patties by hand.
- Cook burger on a skillet, grill pan, or grill to desired temperature. Butter the buns and heat in the oven for 5 minutes.
To make the chipotle mayo:
- Using a blender, mix the mayonnaise and chipotle pepper on low speed.
- Spread chipotle mayo on both halves of the buns.
To assemble burger:
- To assemble burger, start with the base of the bun and layer on the lettuce, a slice of tomato, sliced onions, the cooked burger patty, pepper jack cheese, cooked bacon, and the top of half of the bun.