The Frijoles Colados or Strained Beans, are what the Yucatecans call Frijoles de Olla that have been pureed and then seasoned by being cooked in sauteed onion. They are cooked just for a couple minutes as they season. So its like a gently seasoned and lightly thickened Bean Puree.
They are like a dish made in between the Bean Puree and the Refried Beans. If you continue to cook the Frijoles Colados, you get to a consistency of a smooth version of Refried Beans.
Rate this recipe
- 1 portion basic bean puree (see basic pureed beans post)
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 3 tablespoons safflower or corn oil
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, pour the oil and heat until hot but not smoking, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the onions and let them saute for 3 to 4 minutes, until they have softened, become translucent, and have started to slightly brown along the edges.
- Add a cupful of the basic bean puree at a time, over the sauteed onion, and let them season for 3 to 4 minutes.