Oaxacan Chicken with Oregano and Garlic
Rate this recipe
- 30 garlic cloves
- 1 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt
- To taste freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3-pound chicken cut into 10 serving pieces breasts cut in half
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a food processor or molcajete, process or mash the garlic, oregano, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper until coarse and well mixed, yet not completely pureed.
- Rub the garlic mixture all over chicken and place skin side down on a non-stick baking sheet. If you don’t cook right away, you may marinate the chicken up to 24 hours, covered in the refrigerator.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce temperature to 375 degrees. Flip over the chicken pieces, pour the chicken broth on the bottom of the sheet, and return to the oven for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear when pierced with a knife.