Señor Breakfast Sandwich
Rate this recipe
For the chipotle béchamel:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter plus more to butter baking sheet
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cup cold milk
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sauce from chipotles in adobo sauce or chopped chipotles in adobo
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the sandwiches:
- 8 slices of sandwich bread
- 1 1/3 cup shredded Oaxaca cheese or 8 slices of muenster
- 8 thin slices of baked ham
- 8 eggs
- Vegetable oil for cooking the eggs
- Slices of ripe avocado for garnish
To make the chipotle béchamel:
- In a small saucepan set over medium heat, melt the butter. Once it begins to bubble, incorporate the flour. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly, until it turns into a paste and begins to smell toasty, and the color begins to turn amber.
- Add the cold milk and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, another 2 to 3 minutes. Add the Dijon, chipotles in adobo, salt, and pepper to taste, and mix well. Once it has reached the desired thickness, about the consistency of a pudding, turn off the heat and set aside.
To make the sandwiches:
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a baking sheet.
- Place the slices of bread on the baking sheet and spread a couple tablespoons of the chipotle béchamel onto 4 slices. Put a couple slices of ham onto each of the other 4 slices of bread. Top all 8 slices of bread with cheese, splitting about 1/3 cup of shredded cheese per sandwich. Place in the oven and bake until bread is toasty and cheese is melted, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, set small skillet over low heat. Once hot, add a few drops of oil. Once the oil is hot, 2 at a time, crack the eggs into the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and cook until desired doneness. I do about 4 minutes for sunny side up eggs with runny yolks and set egg whites.
- Remove the sandwiches from oven, close the sandwiches and put a pair of sunny side up eggs on top.