- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 chile de arbol, or more to taste
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup cilantro, leaves and upper part of stems
- 1 thin slice of white onion, or about 2 tablespoons roughly chopped white onion
- In a medium saucepan, place the tomatillos, chile de arbol and garlic clove. If you are unsure of how much heat you want, add 2 chiles de arbol. Cover generously with water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until thoroughly cooked and tomatillos are mushy, but not coming apart.
- Transfer the tomatillos, garlic and 1 chile de arbol to a blender. Add the cilantro, onion and salt. Puree until smooth. Taste for salt and adjust if need be. If you want more heat, add the second chile de arbol.