Salmon, Bacon and Avocado Sandwich
Rate this recipe
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice divided
- 5 tablespoons olive oil divided, plus more to grease dish
- 1/4 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon agave or maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper divided, or to taste
- 1/4 red onion slivered or thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons adobo sauce from chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves pressed or finely chopped
- 3 8-ounce salmon fillets
- 12 slices bacon
- 3 cups baby greens
- 12 slices of whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 1 large ripe Mexican avocado halved, pitted, meat scooped out and sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, 3 tablespoons olive oil, Dijon mustard, agave syrup, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Incorporate the onion, mix, and let it sit so it will pickle or macerate while the rest of the ingredients are prepared.
- In another medium mixing bowl, combine the adobo sauce from chipotle chiles in adobo, 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, cumin, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until well mixed. Taste for salt and add more if need be.
- Brush a baking dish with olive oil, place the salmon on it, and pour the chipotle sauce over it, spreading it throughout. Bake anywhere from 12 to 15 minutes, depending on thickness of the fish, until the salmon is cooked through, yet still very moist. Remove from the oven and cut into 2 equal pieces.
- On a large skillet or grill pan set over medium heat, cook the bacon for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until crisp and browned. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- When ready to make the sandwiches, mix the vinaigrette with the red onion and incorporate the baby greens, toss well. Toast the bread. On each bottom slice, place a cooked salmon filet, top with a couple bacon slices broken in half, a serving of a baby greens, 2 to 3 avocado slices, and the top bread layer to finish making the sandwich.