Chocolate and Dulce de Leche Caramel Cupcakes
Rate this recipe
For the cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup dulce de leche caramel or cajeta
For the ganache:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 14 oz semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
To prepare the cupcakes:
- Place oven rack in the center position. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter the cupcake molds.
- In the mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until soft and creamy. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, add flour, baking soda and salt. Mix it up and add it to the butter mixture. Pour the buttermilk and continue beating. In a small bowl, combine hot water and cocoa powder and stir into the mix, beat until combined. Pour the batter into the cupcake molds.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the cupcakes rise, are cooked and tanned on top. Transfer to a wire rack and let them cool completely. Using a paring knife, cut a 1-inch piece from the top of each cupcake. Save the cut pieces. Fill each hole with one tablespoon of dulce de leche or cajeta and replace the cut-out pieces. Top the cupcakes with the chocolate ganache.
To prepare the ganache:
- Mash the butter until it’s creamy and has no lumps. Heat the chopped chocolate in a double boiler water bath and let it melt. Warm the heavy whipping cream slightly
- Slowly fold the whipping cream into the melted chocolate. Finish off the ganache by folding in the softened butter and adding sugar until everything is well combined.