Cuatro Leches Cake with Plums and Apricots
Rate this recipe
- 8 eggs separated
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour extra to flour pans
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups Cajeta or Dulce de Leche
- 6 plums pitted and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 6 apricots pitted and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- Unsalted butter to butter pans
- Set oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°Butter and flour two 9x13” baking pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks until creamy, thickened and intensely yellow. Incorporate the oil, 1/4 cup of the milk, and vanilla and continue beating until well mixed. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another large bowl, with a hand mixer or a whisk, beat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks, add the sugar and continue beating until they hold stiff peaks. Taking turns, with a rubber spatula, gently fold the flour mixture and the beaten egg whites into the yolk mixture until well incorporated. Scrape the mixture onto the two prepared pans.
- Bake for 22 to 24 minutes until a toothpick comes out moist but not wet. Remove the cakes from the oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, make the milk mixture in a bowl by combining the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and the remaining 1 cup whole milk. Mix well with a whisk.
- Once cakes cool to room temperature, poke holes in both cakes with a toothpick or fork. Pour half the milk mixture onto one of the cakes. Let the milks seep in for at least 10 minutes.
- Drizzle the cajeta or dulce de leche all over the wet cake and place on all the sliced plums and apricots. Top with the second cake. Pour the rest of the milk mixture on top and let it soak up the sauce. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge until ready to eat.
- When ready to eat, whip the heavy cream with the confectioners’ sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread the whipped cream over the cake and serve.