- 3 pounds red potatoes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 scallions
- 1 chile from chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped, or to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sauce from chipotles in adobo sauce, optional
- 1/2 cup milk
- To taste kosher or coarse sea salt
- To taste freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse and quarter the potatoes. In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook for about 15 minutes over medium- high heat, or until thoroughly cooked and soft. Drain.
- In a large, heavy skillet set over medium heat, add the chunks of butter. Once it melts and begins to bubble, stir in the scallions and cook for a couple of minutes until they soften. Add the chopped chipotle chile and combine well. Add the cooked potatoes along with the milk.
- Using a potato masher or a wooden spoon, mash the potatoes roughly as you mix them with the chipotle and scallion mixture. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Serve hot.