Shrimp, Bacon and Crispy Chickpea Tacos with Salsa de Guacamole
Shrimp, Bacon and Crispy Chickpea Tacos with Salsa de Guacamole recipe from Pati’s Mexican Table Season 8, Episode 4 "Los Mochis, Street Taco Favorites"
Servings: 8 to 10 tacos approximately
- 12 ounces bacon about 8 thick slices, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas rinsed, drained, patted dry
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher or sea salt divided
- 1 guajillo chile rinsed, stemmed, seeded, chopped
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp rinsed, shelled and cleaned
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- Corn tortillas
- Salsa de Guacamole
- In a large saute pan or casserole set over medium-high heat, fry the bacon for a couple minutes, until it starts rendering its fat. Add the chickpeas and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and cook until lightly browned, about 6 to 7 minutes. Incorporate the guajillo chile and almonds, stir, cook for a minute, and scrape into a bowl.
- Add the oil and butter to that same pan and once it melts and bubbles, add the shrimp and season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook for about a minute and once the shrimp begin to brown, add the garlic and continue cooking for another minute. Turn off the heat. Incorporate the bacon and chickpea mix and taste for salt.
- Heat the corn tortillas on a preheated comal or skillet set over medium-low heat. Tuck the shrimp mixture into the heated tortillas and top with Salsa de Guacamole.
Tacos de Camarón, Tocino y Garbanzos Crujientes con Guacamole