Mexican Grilled Steak Salad
Rate this recipe
For the salad:
- 2 to 3 pounds flank steak
- 1 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt or more to taste
- To taste freshly ground black pepper
- 3 (about 1/2 pound) medium carrots peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 3 (about 1 pound) medium red potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1/2 pound green beans ends trimmed, cut diagonally into thirds
- 1 cup peas fresh or thawed from frozen
- 6 radishes halved and cut into matchsticks
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves and upper part of stems chopped
- 1 ripe avocado halved, pitted, meat scooped out and sliced
- To taste pickled jalapeños
- To taste chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
For the vinaigrette: (If you like salad juicy double the vinaigrette!)
- 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil plus more to grill the meat
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic finely minced or pressed
- 2/3 cup red onion slivered
- 1 head romaine lettuce leaves rinsed and drained, for serving
- Warm corn tortillas for serving
- Preheat the grill over medium-high heat. Brush the flank steak with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the meat for 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium (about 145 degrees Fahrenheit on a meat thermometer). Let rest for 5-10 minutes, then thinly slice against the grain and set aside.
- Bring salted water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cook the carrots for about 3 to 4 minutes until tender, remove with a spider or slotted spoon and place in a bowl. Repeat with the potatoes and green beans, adding them to the same bowl with the carrots. Lastly, cook the peas for just one minute, then drain and place in the bowl with the other cooked vegetables.
- In a bowl, whisk the vinegar with the oils, salt, pepper, sugar and garlic, until emulsified. Add the onion and let macerate for at least 15 minutes. You may cover and place in the fridge for up to a couple weeks. Shake before using. If you like your salad very juicy and dressed, double the vinaigrette!
- Dress the lettuce with some of the vinaigrette and place on an extended platter. Pour some of the vinaigrette on to the cooked vegetables, incorporate the radishes and cilantro, mix well and place on lettuce. Place the sliced meat on top, add the avocado, dress with more of the vinaigrette. Add some of the pickled jalapeños and chipotles in adobo on the sides of the plate or to your liking. Serve with warm corn tortillas on the side.