Pickled Onion Potato Salad
Rate this recipe
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves sliced
- 2 jalapeño chiles sliced in half lengthwise and seeded (may substitute for habanero or serrano if more heat is desired)
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar or any mild fruit vinegar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 red onions thinly sliced
- 3 lbs red potatos peeled and cut into bite size chunks
- In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add the jalapeños and the garlic and cook for a couple minutes, until they have softened a bit.
- Add the black peppercorns, oregano, allspice, bay leaves and salt and stir for a couple seconds. Incorporate the red onions, stir, let them soften for a minute. Carefully pour in the vinegars. Mix the vinegars with the rest of the ingredients in the pan, stir for a couple seconds and turn off the heat.
- Cook the potatoes in a pot with salted boiling water, for about 12 minutes, until a fork or the tip of a knife goes into the potato. Strain the potatoes and place them in a bowl. Stir in the pickled onion mix. If you do so while the potatoes are still hot, they will absorb the pickle juices much better.
- You may eat the salad warm or cold. You can let it cool and place in a container with a cover. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
16comments inPickled Onion Potato Salad
Thanks for sharing!!
Thanks for giving them a try, Maria!
Yummmmm…delish..a real keeper.thanks, Pati…xxoo
Robin the Shipwreck
#metoo looks very simple and yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy!
This recipe looks delicious! I will try making it.
Patti, when my dad was alive, we used to make pickled onions but now we can’t remember how he did it. Could please give us the process and ingredients. (all I remember was salt, water and vinegar???
Thanks, su amigo,
I have a few recipes for you, Jack: https://patijinich.com/pati_2020/pickled-poblanos/ https://patijinich.com/pati_2020/pickled-red-onions-a-la-yucateca/ https://patijinich.com/pati_2020/pickling_jalapenos/ Enjoy them all.
Sounds wonderful. Who doesn’t like various different potato salads.
I look forward to enjoying this dish.
Thank you for sharing it with us all
I hope you love it, David.
Hola pati quiero hacer to pastel de mango con crema de coco y galletas maria pero donde compro la crema de cocococo..podria
Aquí está la receta: https://patijinich.com/pati_2020/es/tarta-de-mango-y-limon/
Thank you for inspiring me to not only cook more but to try(and love) the amazing variety of Mexican foods.
Thank YOU for trying lots of new recipes, Mary.