- 2 cups unsalted butter plus more to grease the bundt pan
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour plus more to dust the bundt pan
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch kosher or coarse sea salt
- 8 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a bundt pan and coat with flour, dusting off any excess flour.
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter using the paddle attachment on medium-high speed until soft and creamy, anywhere from 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sugar and continue beating until fluffy and puffy.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, mix the eggs with vanilla and sour cream.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low, and take turns adding flour mixture and egg mixture. Continue beating until thoroughly combined, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula if need be. Transfer 1/3 the dough to another bowl, leaving the remaining 2/3 of the dough in the mixer.
- In a small bowl, thoroughly combine the hot water and cocoa. With a rubber spatula, fold the cocoa mixture into the 1/3 of the batter set aside in an extra bowl until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
- To the batter left in the mixer, add the orange zest, almond extract and orange juice, and beat until completely mixed.
- With two ice cream scoops or measuring cups, alternate dropping the chocolate batter and the orange-almond batter into the bundt pan. When all the batter is in the pan, run a butter knife or a skewer through it to create the marbled look.
- Bake the cake for 50 to 60 minutes, until springy to the touch, lightly browned and a toothpick inserted comes out moist, but not wet. Remove the cake from the oven and let cool.
- Once cool, run a butter knife around the cake and invert onto a platter. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and serve.