- 1 lb tomatillos, husks removed and rinsed
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 or 2 chiles serranos, can adjust for desired spiciness level
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 lb queso fresco diced, or can use farmer’s cheese or mild feta instead
- 1 ripe Mexican avocado, halved, pitted and sliced or cut into chunks
- Warm corn tortillas or tortilla chips
- Place tomatillos in a sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a simmer and cook until the tomatillos are soft and mushy, but not coming apart, about 10 minutes.
- Place the tomatillos, garlic, chiles serranos (add one by one to taste for spiciness desired and adjust the heat as you go), cilantro, onion and salt in the blender. Blend until smooth. You may also mash it all up in a molcajete.
- Serve in a bowl or molcajete, along with the queso fresco and avocado slices. Offer warm corn tortillas or tortilla chips on the side.
- This salsa may be used to spoon on top of thousands of things; including tacos, quesadillas, eggs in the morning, or grilled meats.