- 1 1/2 pounds baby potatoes
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, plus more to brush dish
- 8 to 10 garlic cloves, pressed or finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ancho or chipotle chile powder, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried and crumbled rosemary
- 1 cup grated parmeggiano reggiano or queso añejo
- In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Drop in the potatoes and cook until completely cooked and soft, about 20 minutes. The tip of a sharp knife should be able to completely and easily go through one.
- Brush olive oil on a large baking sheet or dish. Place the potatoes, one by one, on the baking sheet. With the back of a soup spoon, smash each potato lightly but firmly until it flattens, albeit unevenly, halfway; as if just lightly smashed, but not completely broken apart. Continue with all the potatoes. Don’t let them cool too much, or it won’t be as easy to smash and lightly flatten them.
- Place the oven rack in the upper third tier and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix the olive oil with the pressed or finely chopped garlic, chile powder, rosemary and salt. Spoon some of the garlic mixture on top of each lightly smashed potato. Cover with grated parmesan cheese.
- Place the potatoes in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until they are golden and crisp. Serve hot.