Sami's Smashed Potatoes
Rate this recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds baby potatoes
- 6 tablespoons olive oil plus more to brush dish
- 8 to 10 garlic cloves pressed or finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ancho or chipotle chile powder or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried and crumbled rosemary
- 1 cup grated parmeggiano reggiano or queso añejo
- In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Drop in the potatoes and cook until completely cooked and soft, about 20 minutes. The tip of a sharp knife should be able to completely and easily go through one.
- Brush olive oil on a large baking sheet or dish. Place the potatoes, one by one, on the baking sheet. With the back of a soup spoon, smash each potato lightly but firmly until it flattens, albeit unevenly, halfway; as if just lightly smashed, but not completely broken apart. Continue with all the potatoes. Don’t let them cool too much, or it won’t be as easy to smash and lightly flatten them.
- Place the oven rack in the upper third tier and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix the olive oil with the pressed or finely chopped garlic, chile powder, rosemary and salt. Spoon some of the garlic mixture on top of each lightly smashed potato. Cover with grated parmesan cheese.
- Place the potatoes in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until they are golden and crisp. Serve hot.
41comments inSami’s Smashed Potatoes
I am going to try the cucumber avocado salad because it looks nice & refreshing!
I’m trying these papas later today, I hope they’re as good as yours!
I hope you liked both recipes Margarita, let me know!
saw you and your son enjoying them on our PBS channel Thanks for such a great show. I watch it alot
So happy you have been tuning in and enjoying the show, thanks so much!
I ate them all these were so good!
What a great appetizer to serve as well!
Thanks for this recipe 😃
So very happy you liked Sami’s Potatoes Lisa, un abrazo!
Yolanda Mendoza, Ft. Worth,Tx.
I’m not a big cook, but after watching your show on Friday night n reruns on Sat. I thought I’d give Sammie’s favorite mash potatoes a try … hopefully my grandson will enjoy them. However, didn’t have rosemary! So, ay ve!!
You make every thing look so easy
y bien saborso!!
Espero que hayan disfrutado las papas Yolanda, abrazos a ti y a tu nieto!
We watched the episode when you made this on Friday evening (we LOVE @CreateTV!), then made it ourselves to go with last night’s dinner. So good! Especially the little tastes of rosemary and garlic.
Awesome, so happy you made them Lisa!
I have fell in love with these potatoes a wonderful side dish for dinner
So happy to read this, gracias JB!
I love this dish, a perfect side with everything.
Truly enjoy your TV show on Create TV and look forward to watching on weekends for cooking inspiration.
Gracias Sue, big hug!
I’ve made these several times, because they are so good — and easy. I made them for the big family Christmas dinner, and got raves from all, even from the “I don’t like anything new” crowd.
So glad you guys had a great Christmas dinner, Grace!
We love watching your show on Create TV on the weekends! Learning about Mexico and the cuisine is so interesting. We all love Sami’s smashed potatoes! I’m making it on a regular basis now. Thank you for all of your creative recipes!
That’s so awesome. Thank you so much, Lisa!
Pati, I’m making Sami’s smashed potatoes for Christmas Day dinner , doesn’t matter they don’t go with tamales , but I’m excited to see how my family likes them.
It sounds like you are making a super yum Christmas dinner. Enjoy!
I love smashed potatoes! I was actually inspired to start cooking potatoes like this after seeing your video of this recipe. I also boil the potatoes first, but instead of baking, I sauté them in butter and olive oil and actually smash them right away when they hit the pan, turning on both sides so they brown. I served them with pollo ala milanesa and they were such a hit, my mom loved them a lot! But I think one day, I will try to infuse the butter and oil with the seasonings in the recipe before sautéing, considering she likes all those flavors. Thank you for giving me this great idea!
That’s awesome that you’ve made the recipe your own, Carlos. Say hi to your mom for me.
Well, your recipes have become a new inspiration for my cooking! And especially for someone who loves potatoes, this has become one of my new favorites. I will tell her you said hello; I’m sure she’d be happy, considering she was the very person who introduced me to your show 😉
5 star recipe we make all the time.
Thank you Jill!
Hi Pati! Love your show and your recipes. I make these potatoes all the time. U can also cook potatoes in the microwave a few minutes till done and smash with a small plate. Then use the olive oil, black pepper, paprika, chipotle powder and kosher salt and cheese. Bake just like Sami. Awesome.
Making the recipe your own is so great Diane!
I just made Sami’s smashed potatoes to go with my beef tips in Chipotle mole con crema…my family LOVED it!! They also loved the vinaigrette; you bathed some greens in it to go with the salmon and bacon sandwiches. I dress greens in it all the time now. I love your show and all the wonderful, beautiful Mexican cities and amazing food you showcase. Happy eating…and cooking! Sabrosa!!
Ebony, I’m super happy your family loved it all, and thank you for your sweet message!
Pati — I made these for dinner last night, and not only did the kitchen smell incredible while they were baking, but my sister-in-law moaned on every bite! (The rest of us were moaning on the inside.) LOVE your show and your food!
Bob and Linda Henry
Pati,,, Excellent. We plan to try these next week. They look great ! We missed the portion which showcased the restaurant that highlighted you placing everything on a tortilla. What and where was that?
We LOVE your show and look forward to every episode. Regards from Northern Wisconsin !
Hola Wisconsin!! Are you referring to El Cardenal in Mexico City?
Pati, I made these for supper last night. Delicious! I can’t believe I’ve not had smashed potatoes in my life before now!
So happy you tried them!!
Tried Samis smashed potatoes – diliciosas!
Very good! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm