- 4 teleras, bolillos, Portuguese buns, or baguettes cut into 5- to 6-inch pieces
- 2 cups refried beans homemade or store-bought
- 2 cups (about 8 ounces) shredded Oaxaca cheese, mozzarella, Monterrey Jack or mild cheddar
- Traditional pico de gallo or other salsa of your choice
- Optional extra toppings:
- Mexican-style chorizo crumbled and fried
- Crisped bacon
- Turkey or ham
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Sliced avocado
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Slice the bread in half lengthwise. Spread each piece with 3 to 4 tablespoons of refried beans and top with 3 to 4 tablespoons of grated cheese. Arrange the molletes on a baking sheet as you make them. If you want to add more toppings like ham, turkey, bacon or chorizo, sprinkle them on top of the cheese.
- When they are all assembled, bake until the cheese has melted and the bread has a nice toasted crust on the bottom and around the edges, 8 to 10 minutes. Eat while hot. Serve with pico de gallo, or your favorite salsa, on the side.