Corn Tortilla Egg Nests
- 8 homemade corn tortillas fresh from the comal right when they puff
- 8 eggs
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 batch Chile de Árbol Salsa Verde
- Crumbled queso fresco or Cotija cheese
- Mexican crema
- Ripe avocado slices
- Follow the process for making the homemade tortillas in the recipe linked in the ingredients. You’ll want to make the nests as you are cooking the tortillas. One by one crack an egg in a ¼ measuring cup that is easy to pour from and sprinkle with salt and black pepper to taste. Once the tortilla puffs, make a slit with a sharp knife, such as a paring knife to open the tortilla pocket, make an opening of about 1 to 2 inches. You may use a soup spoon to open the pocket more fully.
- Pour the cracked egg in the pocket and place back on the comal or pan. Let it cook for a couple minutes. If desired, flip the egg filled tortilla to the other side to cook a couple minutes on the other side, or until desired doneness. You can cook the egg in the tortilla without flipping as well. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and eggs.
- Place on a plate, cover with the chile de árbol salsa verde and garnish with crumbled queso fresco or Cotija, Mexican crema, and slices of ripe avocado.