Habanero Shrimp Burger with Habanero Tartar Sauce
- 1 habanero chile seeded and finely chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped cilantro leaves and upper part of stems
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup peeled and chopped carrot
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt plus more to sprinkle on burgers
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds medium-sized shrimp rinsed, peeled and patted dry, divided
- Vegetable oil to brush on the burgers
- 6 brioche or burger buns lightly toasted before serving
- 6 butter lettuce leaves
- 1 batch Habanero Tartar Sauce
- 12 slices of bacon cooked until crisp
- 1 ripe avocado halved, pitted, thinly sliced
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the habanero, lime juice, cilantro, mayonnaise, carrot, egg, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and a quarter pound of the shrimp. Pulse until completely smooth. Add the remaining shrimp and pulse a couple times, until you have a coarse ground meat mixture.
- Cover a small sheet pan or tray with wax paper. Put some lukewarm water in a bowl and use it to wet your hands as you shape the mixture onto 6 burger patties. Place them on the prepared baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 15 to 30 minutes.
- Heat a grill or grill pan on medium heat. Generously brush the shrimp burger patties with oil and sprinkle with salt. Place on the grill or grill pan and cook for about 5 minutes per side, until browned on both sides and the color inside has changed to a darker pink.
- Lightly toast the buns in the oven or on a heated skillet. On the bottom half, place a lettuce leaf, some habanero tarter sauce, a shrimp burger, a couple slices of bacon, a couple slices of avocado, more tartar sauce to taste, and top with the top bun. Repeat with the rest of the burgers.