Wild Crunchy Granola
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup pecans very coarsely chopped
- 1 cup raw cashews very coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup shelled, unsalted peanuts very coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup hulled, raw pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup amaranth
- 1/3 cup white quinoa
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup safflower oil
- 1/2 cup dried sour cherries optional to taste
- Bittersweet chocolate chips optional to taste
- Sweetened coconut flakes optional to taste
- Set the baking rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, add the rolled oats, pecans, cashews, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, amaranth seeds, and quinoa along with the salt. Toss to combine.
- In a small saucepan, combine the honey with the oil. Set over low heat and stir for a minute or so, until completely dissolved.
- Pour the honey and oil mixture over the nuts and seeds mixture and toss to coat. Spread over the prepared baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake until lightly golden brown, about 55 minutes, stirring once in between.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. Scrape onto a bowl and add the dried sour cherries, chocolate chips and coconut flakes to taste. Store in a closed container with a tight lid.
- Use the granola as a snack to munch on its own, on top of yogurt, ice cream, over fruit, or mixed with queso fresco or on top of fresh ricotta cheese.