Tequila and Lime Skirt Steak Tips
Tequila and Lime Skirt Steak Tips recipe from Pati’s Mexican Table Season 12, Episode 2 “Guayabera World”
Servings: 4 servings
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 whole cloves stems removed and peppercorns crushed
- Pinch ground true cinnamon or canela
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt or to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak cut into 2 to 3” x ½” strips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 1 large white onion halved and slivered
- 3 xcatic, güero, banana, or jalapeño chiles stemmed, seeded and cut lengthwise into thin strips
- Splash of Gran Centenario® Plata tequila
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Warm corn tortillas to serve, optional
- Sweet Lime and Chile de Árbol Guacamole or ripe avocado slices, to serve, optional
- In a small bowl, combine allspice, black pepper, oregano, crushed cloves, cinnamon, cumin, coriander and salt. Place sliced meat in a container and rub the seasoning all over. Set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet or cast iron pan set over medium heat. Once it shimmers, add the onion and chile slices, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until softened. Scrape into a bowl and return the skillet to the heat.
- Raise heat to high, add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Once it shimmers, add the meat and sear, for 2 to 3 minutes until it starts to sweat on the surface, flip and sear for another minute. Pour in a splash of tequila, tilt to the flame, and let it catch fire being careful not to burn your hands. It will ignite for a few seconds until alcohol evaporates.
- Add the lime and lemon juice, incorporate the cooked onion and jalapeño, and stir for a minute. Remove from the heat and serve. You can tuck into tacos with ripe avocado slices or guacamole.
Puntas de Filete al Tequila y Limón