Mixed Nut Salsa Macha
- 1 cup olive oil
- 9 dried guajillo chiles stemmed, seeded, and cut into small squares with scissors
- 4 to 5 dried chiles de árbol stemmed and cut into small rings (with seeds)
- 8 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted pistachios coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup amaranth seeds
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons dark brown sugar or grated piloncillo
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt or to taste
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add the chiles, garlic, and nuts and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the amaranth seeds. Scrape into a bowl and let cool.
- Mix the vinegar, brown sugar, and salt into the chile mixture. Let sit, covered, for at least 8 hours before serving to allow the chiles to soften.
- The salsa will keep, tightly covered, for a few weeks in the refrigerator.